Books, Movies, and Presentations
Like as though I weren't reading enough already, I've agreed to read "Hamlet" in tandem with a friend. I've never actually read "Hamlet," though I know the story well. As precursor, I do get the fun of watching "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead," which is my own little treat. ("Hey, look at this...")
I know I've fixed the sidebar for what I'm reading, but it's lying again. Among those on the actual list of "I'm in the middle of..." include "Beowulf," "The Tao of Pooh," and a book about anger management for kids. (That one, I'm happy to say, I haven't really needed to make much use of.) Now adding "Hamlet," which I very much want to do.
Something's gotta give...
"The Tao of Pooh" is proving a quick and easy read. "Beowulf" is bound to be overdue soon, and I'm not yet halfway through it. Loaded up with more words per sentence than even Shakespeare tended to wind together, it throws me some. Not to mention, I like the online version with links to remind when I'm stuck with "Who's that again?" Highly convenient. And Helen just might go back to her comfy shelf in the library as well, at least for a while. Maybe someone else will get her out of there in the time it takes me to get back to her. I actually rather hope so.
Beyond these, there are the non-fiction funs of TEDtalks which kept my attention for hours last night and I am very much looking forward to perusing the site further. I'm even considering one of the talks to be linked up in the sidebar, permanently, as one of the strongest reasons I choose to have my kids educated outside of the mass-schooling institutions. But that takes time to do and is not yet high priority.
"Hamlet," on the other hand, will take me more time than it will for my friend (speedy reader; I type faster, though). So, that I will be starting, likely this day.
What I really wanted to write about today has less to do with listing than it does with theme. Seems the one most prevalent just recently is the idea of how:
Learning
Knowing
Understanding concepts
Comprehending
"Wisdom"
Education
is* not something that can be "taught." Instead, the idea of gaining in such a way through direct experience. Sure, one can get the informations from a great many sources, but even that statement has been a current theme of late. Perhaps there is too much information? Maybe the readily-available-ness of information makes it more difficult to pick out the stuff that matters? ...ah, I will have to post on these things at another time.
---
* Yes, I kept that singular. One idea, defined in so many misleading ways does not change the fact that it's only one idea.
