2.15.2007

Why, Why, Why?

The discussion regarding homeschooling has begun to take over most other discussions lately. This happens from time to time, typically at the start of another semester, but really about three times a year, counting the onset of summer (which is also the beginning of a "semester" for many).

Over at Whitey's the discussion turned and I commented on it. But I can't fit more than one or two points into a comment on someone else's blog. I found I wanted to go into more detail than I knew I was offered space for, and decided I'd put it here. I don't recall ever having done so before anyway.

The reasons we homeschool, in no particular order:

To keep our own shields up against the world at large, to be let down when the times are right for the kids.

For safety's sake. (The local elementary school has already dished out suspensions and - EEK! - expulsions!)

To offer learning paces set by the kids as individuals, racing only against each other and only against each others' abilities at various ages.

To promote thoughtful discussion when it arises, rather than to order the strict policy of "this is not the time." (Though there are often occassions when it truly isn't the right time and/or place and we don't hesitate to say so.)

To allow freedom from most traditional time constraints. There are many benefits here, but primarily, the idea is that just because many people do one thing one way doesn't mean anyone else has to follow suit.

To present information through the lenses of reason and logic rather than insisting the kids memorize their lessons or repeat them for the grade only - promoting a desire to learn more. I suppose this is where the idea of religion comes into play, but we are not very religious at all. When the kids show interest in different beliefs, we present them as what some people choose to believe because that's what religion is - what a person chooses to believe regarding spirituality. They're free to believe whatever they like.

To allow the kids to follow their interests (which tend to lead them into every subject matter - reading, math, etc. - , by the way) as long as they like. Unit studies aren't limited nor are they maximized - the kids set their own boundaries that way.

To share the idea that learning does not and should not end at some set hour in the afternoon, or that it begins and ends on certain days of the week, but that learning happens from morning to night, every day of the week.

We school at home such that some work is done on paper, while much of the work we do is not. That's not because we don't believe in worksheets or tests, it's because we find different approaches suit different topics on various occassions. Again, this supports considering (ie, thinking about) what method is the best for what subject on any given day for any kid.

To allow only as much pressure as our kids can handle (which is never in doubt) from the standards and expectations others hold. We set our standards higher than our present achievements and work toward them, resetting them as needed, individually.

The Man and I do everything in our power to teach by example in that we strive daily to improve our own lives, surroundings and understandings of all things inside and outside of the home.

Our kids are taught how to properly take care of themselves (ie, health, nutrition, mindset) through example, discussion and explanations of good and bad choices - along with explanations of natural and disciplinary consequences.

In direct relation to learning, we've only ever lied to our kids about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, none of which have ever proven detrimental in our home. Everything else is explained in detail and in age-appropriate ways.

And the one reason we were determined (from pregnancy with the first kid) to homeschool --> because we want to see those lightbulbs of understanding fire rather than giving those moments off to someone we'd never even been friends with. That, Dear Readers, is priceless.


It's no small comfort knowing that, not only are our kids learning at their own paces, but they're also uninhibited when it comes to sharing what they know. When someone in their company makes a poor choice, speaks with poor grammar or shows disrespect for anyone else around him-/herself, ours will respectfully make a point of it. Typically without speaking (they've looked to their Father and I with raised eyebrows on more occassions than either of us can count). But once in a while they will directly call the person on their mistake. The Man and I are not special, either - we're just as much at their mercy as anyone else they know! Beyond this, they are, each one of them, easily at (and here and there beyond) other kids their own ages - that attend public schools - in academics.

Does it seem that I'm incredibly proud of my kids? I am. Does it seem that I am proud of myself for their accomplishments? I am not. They have mastered the lessons themselves. All I've done is promote solid choices, set examples and offer whatever tools they might need for the tasks. They've put the heavy work in for themselves and they know it.