2.10.2007

The wedding, in all of its ceremonious ingenuity, is complete. I did my speaking role, on my empty gut, in my suffocating dress on stiletto heels with plastered hair and did not fall down. From one peek outside, it appears hell has also frozen over, as I suspected it might, should I pull it all off without a major hitch. The minor hitch? I had printed off a copy of the speech (as I was told I could freely read directly if I should so choose) and commenced to walk down the aisle, leaving it behind, sharing a space on a hall table with the forgotten microphone for company. Thankfully, I'd already committed the words to memory and the only fluke then was the hushed voices of Bride and Groom through their enchanting vows. Luckily, the microphone was neither needed by the Best Man or myself, nor was it either of our responsibilities. Aren't we the fortunate ones?
From the vows themselves and the manner in which Bride and Groom delivered them, to the Bride's appearance being the epitomy of magical fantasy, to the two most amazingly paired Flower Girl and Ring Bearer dancing alone on the floor to "Unforgettable," the intimacy of the entire night for the small venue and minimal guest list, down to the speech given by Father of the Bride truly being a masterpiece - the night could not have been topped had the Bride herself been Cinderella.
There were no catcalls, nor outbursts of any kind. No tossing of garters or bouquets. No one dropped their drawers to moon anybody and no one was set on fire. Cake was not shoved up anyone's nose, no champagne glasses were smashed. No "Chicken Dance" or "Locomotion." No Polka nor any brutish guffaws. Not a word of crude sarcasm was spoken, the carmera lenses never needed shielding. The Best Man did not attempt to humiliate the Groom and I wouldn't have dreamed of doing any such thing to the Bride.
When the Bride and Groom declared "Black Tie" and asked that everyone respect that, they were not let down in the least. I can't say I've ever attended a wedding so elegant, so magical, ...so romantic as this one.
I am indeed honored to the highest degree to have played a part.===========Comments:
That's exactly the kind of wedding I'd have. What a great way of descibing it.
Thank you for your visit today and your kind words! So glad you enjoyed the post.
~SShephard Homepage 07.02.07 - 3:39 pm #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope my last comment went thru...if not, I just wanted to say how much I loved your description of a classy wedding... it did sound romantic and serene.
Thank you again for your kind comments on my blog. So glad you enjoyed reading the post.
~S Shephard Homepage 07.02.07 - 3:41 pm #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey, Shephard. Yep, both went through. Which do you prefer - I can obliterate the odd one for you.
Indeed, serene is a word that, having been also behind the scenes, I didn't think to use, but that it comes to mind for one not having been there is proof enough my own words are well-chosen. Thank you.Veda Homepage 08.02.07 - 11:45 am #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello and here from Michele tonight. It sounds heavenly, soft, quiet and I could pictures a glow around the happy couple and tears in the parents' eyes. Sigh.srp Homepage 09.02.07 - 1:49 am #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That's nice. My wedding didn't resemble anything like that. It might have been a harbinger of the marriage to come - short-lived as it was.
Michele sent me,
Mikemr. althouse Homepage 09.02.07 - 2:24 pm #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Wow, I have never read such a glowing accounting of such an elegant wedding. Wish I could have seen it first-hand, because up until now I thought such perfection only existed in a dream.
Your wonderful entry has motivated me to think back to my own wedding. It was such a magical event in our lives. And 14 years later, I wouldn't have changed a thing.Carmi Homepage 09.02.07 - 9:54 pm #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That's how weddings were when I first got married.Michele sent me.pat Homepage 10.02.07 - 9:43 am #
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here from Micheles, That sounds wonderful! My own wedding was very quiet & wonderful, we had our reception 60 miles away the next day (it was an odd situation all the way around) & it was complete chaos with all the ugly stuff you mentioned (Needless to say I liked the actual wedding better)Becky68 Homepage 10.02.07 - 5:41 pm #
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------